APPLN563-19B (HAM)

Second Language Course Design, Materials and Methodology

30 Points

Edit Header Content
Division of Arts Law Psychology & Social Sciences
School of Arts
General and Applied Linguistics

Staff

Edit Staff Content

Convenor(s)

Lecturer(s)

Administrator(s)

: vanessa.mclean@waikato.ac.nz

Placement Coordinator(s)

Tutor(s)

Student Representative(s)

Lab Technician(s)

Librarian(s)

: anne.ferrier-watson@waikato.ac.nz

You can contact staff by:

  • Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension.
  • Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
    • For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension.
    • For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension.
    • For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension.
    • For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123.
Edit Staff Content

Paper Description

Edit Paper Description Content
The overall aim of this paper is to provide an overview of the major underlying theoretical principles of foreign and second language programme planning, related teaching methodology, testing and assessment and their practical application for the classroom.
Edit Paper Description Content

Paper Structure

Edit Paper Structure Content
This is a B Semester course in 2019. There will be 3 hours of class each week on Thursday from 4.00 – 7.00 pm in Room K3.10. Attendance in class should be considered compulsory. Any announcements made in class will, therefore, be deemed to have been received by all students. There are no set tutorials for this paper. Students are, however, strongly encouraged to seek tutorial time when and if they need this to support their learning.
Edit Paper Structure Content

Learning Outcomes

Edit Learning Outcomes Content

Students who successfully complete the course should be able to:

  • design language curricula, syllabi and courses
    Linked to the following assessments:
  • set clear objectives
    Linked to the following assessments:
  • clarify the form and meaning of new language for learners
    Linked to the following assessments:
  • convey and negotiate meaning in the classroom
    Linked to the following assessments:
  • develop productive and receptive skills in language learners
    Linked to the following assessments:
  • create and exploit materials and resources for language teaching and learning
    Linked to the following assessments:
  • evaluate language teaching materials and resources
    Linked to the following assessments:
  • assess learning outcomes
    Linked to the following assessments:
Edit Learning Outcomes Content
Edit Learning Outcomes Content

Assessment

Edit Assessments Content
Assessment for this paper is a portfolio style. You will complete three preparatory assignments that are marked and returned to you with detailed feedback and suggestions for improvement. These three pieces of work together are worth a total of 40% of the final mark. You then have a chance to rework, revise and resubmit these assignments in the light of feedback and your growing understanding of the issues involved in syllabus and course design. The final 60% for the paper is assigned to the reworking of the three preliminary assignments. A detailed analysis of mark allocation is outlined below.
Edit Additional Assessment Information Content

Assessment Components

Edit Assessments Content

The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0. There is no final exam. The final exam makes up 0% of the overall mark.

The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0 or 0:0, whichever is more favourable for the student. The final exam makes up either 0% or 0% of the overall mark.

Component DescriptionDue Date TimePercentage of overall markSubmission MethodCompulsory
1. Assignment 1
25 Jul 2019
4:00 PM
5
  • Hand-in: In Lecture
2. Assignment 2
27 Aug 2019
4:00 PM
15
  • Hand-in: In Lecture
3. Assignment 3
24 Sep 2019
4:00 PM
20
  • Hand-in: In Lecture
4. Final Portfolio
22 Oct 2019
4:00 PM
60
  • Hand-in: Department Office
Assessment Total:     100    
Failing to complete a compulsory assessment component of a paper will result in an IC grade
Edit Assessments Content

Required and Recommended Readings

Edit Required Readings Content

Required Readings

Edit Required Readings Content
Harmer, J. (2007). The practice of English language teaching. (4th Edition) London: Longman
Edit Required Readings Content

Recommended Readings

Edit Recommended Readings Content

Brumfit, C.J. & K. Johnson. (1979). The communicative approach to language teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Edge, J. (1993). Essentials of English language teaching. London: Longman.

Lewis, M. & J. Hill. (1992). Practical techniques for language teaching. Hove: Language Teaching Publications.

Nunan, D. (1991). Language teaching methodology. Hertfordshire: Prentice Hall.

Richards, J.C. & T.S. Schmidt. (1986). Approaches and methods in language teaching. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.

Swan, M. (1984). Basic English. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

Edit Recommended Readings Content

Online Support

Edit Online Support Content
There is a Moodle community page for this paper which will be used as a repository for additional resources for this paper. Moodle can be accessed via iWaikato.
Edit Online Support Content

Workload

Edit Workload Content
This is a post-graduate paper that is assessed throughout the A semester. Your workload will be easier to manage if you attend class each week, review lecture material consistently, read regularly and widely, and allow yourself plenty of lead-in time for the assignments. You should also make sure that you take advantage of tutorial help when, or if, you need it.
Edit Workload Content

Linkages to Other Papers

Edit Linkages Content
This paper links to other papers offered for the Post-Graduate Diploma in Second Language Teaching, particularly the teaching practicum paper.
Edit Linkages Content

Prerequisite(s)

Students must meet the entry requirements to the Postgraduate Diploma in Second Language Teaching (PGDipSLT) as stated in the Calendar.

Corequisite(s)

Equivalent(s)

Restriction(s)

Restricted papers: APPL554

Edit Linkages Content