Visual Language and Information Design
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension.
Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension.
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension.
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension.
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123.
Design Studios are 2 x 3-hour studios each week with 1-hour Lecture weekly.
Attendance is compulsory to both Studios and Lectures, where graded activities will be conducted.
Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to:
Students who successfully complete the course should be able to:
- Demonstrate competence in the knowledge of the visual language to promote perception, create comprehension, and produce visible signs.
- Demonstrate competence to present information in an efficient and effective approach by using design theories and visualisation methods.
- Use a design process to explore options for solving visual problems
- Use and understand information/data for visualisation
- Research and analyse existing and historical design
- Develop concepts, articulate and exchange these ideas with class members
- Make informed decisions about criticisms and suggestions, and present works in a professional fashion
Linked to the following assessments:
- Demonstrate an appropriate level of professional practice
Please taken note that:
All assignments have to be accompanied by research and process, to prove the originality of the work.
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0. There is no final exam. The final exam makes up 0% of the overall mark.
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0 or 0:0, whichever is more favourable for the student. The final exam makes up either 0% or 0% of the overall mark.
Error: Assessment components must add up to 100%
At least one Assessment Component needs to be entered
|Component Description||Due Date||Time||Percentage of overall mark||Submission Method||Compulsory|
|1. Visual Language||
9 Aug 2021
No set time
13 Sep 2021
No set time
18 Oct 2021
No set time
|4. Professional Practice||
Required and Recommended Readings*
100 Ideas That Changed Graphic Design, by Steven Heller and Veronique Vienne
The Anatomy of Design, by Steven Heller and Mirko Ilic
Infographics (The power of visual storytelling), by Jason Lankow, Josh Ritchie, Ross Crooks
Information is Beautiful, by David McCandless
An introduction to Information Design, by Kathryn Coate and Andy Ellison
Cool Infographics, by Randy Krum
Students should expect to spend at least 12.5 hours per week on this paper, in the following proportions:
- Studios & lecture: 7 hours
- Private Study: 7/8 hours
Linkages to Other Papers*
Prerequisite papers: CGRD142 or DSIGN142