Negotiating Sport Development and Coaching Contexts
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension.
Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension.
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension.
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension.
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123.
This paper contextualises sport development through a specific focus on understanding sports coaching. This paper will introduce students to the social, contextual and practical issues framing the role and practice of coaching, as well as key theories, concepts and developments in the study of sport coaching.
The paper involves one 2-hour lecture and one 2-hour tutorial per week. Students should sign up for one tutorial per week.
This paper will involve a combination of lectures and workshop activities. Students are expected to complete readings in order to be able to contribute to discussions as part of in -class work.
In line with the need to respond to COVID-19, lectures will be delivered online primarily via screencasts. Screencasts will be available by 11am every Thursday. Any changes to these will be communicated well in advance. Tutorials, however, will be delivered in person, on campus.
Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to:
Negotiating sport development and coaching contexts
Linked to the following assessments:
- Theorise sport coaching as a situated, relational and ethical practice.
- Apply critical theories, concepts and practical skills to the study of sport coaching.
- Recognise the influence of the wider context in which coaching is embedded.
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0. There is no final exam. The final exam makes up 0% of the overall mark.
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0 or 0:0, whichever is more favourable for the student. The final exam makes up either 0% or 0% of the overall mark.
Error: Assessment components must add up to 100%
At least one Assessment Component needs to be entered
|Component Description||Due Date||Time||Percentage of overall mark||Submission Method||Compulsory|
|1. Reflective Portfolio||
2 Apr 2021
|2. Understanding Sport Coaching: A Video Case Study||
5 May 2021
|3. Scenario analysis and response||
4 Jun 2021
Required and Recommended Readings*
Readings are accessible from the Library reading list for SDCOA202 (Talis Aspire).
It is strongly recommended that students engage with required readings, as these will form the basis for many in-class tasks and discussions.
Linkages to Other Papers*
Prerequisites: A minimum of 60 points at 100 level.