You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension.
Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension.
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension.
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension.
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123.
Welcome to SPNSH300, a work-integrated learning (WIL) paper that enables students to either credit a professional practice such as work experience here or abroad, (i.e; language assistants in Spain or Latin America), or a related practicum, or complete tasks or projects related to an independent study. This is a great opportunity for students to reflect on the transferable skills acquired during the study and how it informs and guides professional practice.
This is an applied professional practice or practicum paper that permits students studying any aspect of Hispanic cultures (Latin America and Spain) or to employ disciplinary knowledge and skills in fulfillment of tasks/projects/roles for an external client. The types of professional practice that can be credited toward this paper can range from design-based tasks, transcriptions English-Spanish-English, historical or archival based research or utilization of language and cultural competency skills in communication exercises. This paper provides an opportunity for students to apply their disciplinary knowledge in Spanish, in an authentic way that enhances their personal skill set and benefits the relevant work-related practice of an external client.
Students may either:
1) work off-site for an external client, in a stipulated role, or
2) work independently to complete the task (transcriptions, writing-copy, promotional materials, completing research, etc).
Some WIL opportunities are presented to the University which will then be advertised to students via the Spanish programme, but students are more likely to need to secure their own professional-practice opportunity to be approved by your WIL advisor and credited toward the paper. Students may use roles/projects/tasks that have already been completed with the approval of your SPNSH WIL Advisor, and then develop reflective assignments around these experiences.
Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to:
Students who successfully complete the course should be able to:
Linked to the following assessments:
- apply disciplinary skills in an authentic professional context
- communicate and interact with external clients in a workplace relationship, context or environment
- reflect on professional and organisational processes
- reflect on professional skill development
- document and report progress in applied tasks through professionally specialised writing
- develop a professional identity
- provide evidence of workplace enhanced professional skills
Professional Practice Reflection and Work Log (Process)
It is recommended that students complete an assessment component to log the experience of their professional practice as it unfolds capturing planning, decision making and project development. This may be comprised of short segments of writing completed regularly throughout the professional practice task(s). The log may be published as a blog or uploaded to Moodle so that supervisors are kept informed throughout the process.
Areas to note:
- Key steps/moments in the professional practice and the decision making associated with it
- Any concerns as the project unfolds and how they are addressed
- Consider the actions/interventions or feedback provided by others (e.g. external client)
Professional Practice Conducted for WIL (Output)
Documented evidence of the work conducted for SPNSH300. This will take different forms depending on the nature of the professional practice completed. It may be useful to document or summarise the nature of the brief given, iterations of the final submission or outcome and documented evidence of the output.
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0. There is no final exam. The final exam makes up 0% of the overall mark.
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0 or 0:0, whichever is more favourable for the student. The final exam makes up either 0% or 0% of the overall mark.
Error: Assessment components must add up to 100%
At least one Assessment Component needs to be entered
|Component Description||Due Date||Time||Percentage of overall mark||Submission Method||Compulsory|
|1. Reflection and Work Log (Process)||
|2. SPNSH WIL (Output)||
|3. Final Presentation or Report on WIL Experience (Evaluation)||
Required and Recommended Readings*
Linkages to Other Papers*
Entry is at the discretion of the paper convenor.
Restricted papers: ARTSW coded papers.