Advanced Spanish 2
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension.
Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension.
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension.
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension.
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123.
This course is the continuation of SPNSH331 and the aim of the course is to keep developing your fluency in Spanish, to understand and use complex grammatical structures and vocabulary, as well as to gain a deeper knowledge and appreciation of the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world.
Your linguistic skills will be improved through interactive activities, cultural readings, and grammar exercises. The focus is to consolidate all the learned grammatical structures in a combined and organic way as well as to fine-tune your vocabulary, fluency, and debating skills. The goal is to be able to communicate with ease and have spontaneous conversations without much effort.
Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to:
1. Summarize authentic spoken discourse produced by Spanish speakers of diverse origins.
2. Produce Spanish comprehensible to native speakers using complex grammatical structures to communicate analytical and interpretive information in both impromptu and prepared speech.
3. Demonstrate increasing comprehension of authentic written texts in a variety of genres.
4. Write evaluations and critiques at a high intermediate level using complex grammatical structures.
5. Formulate cohesive paragraphs and essays.
6. Interpret cultural practices and products of the Spanish-speaking world drawing on authentic materialsLinked to the following assessments:
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0. There is no final exam.
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0. There is no final exam. The final exam makes up 0% of the overall mark.
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0 or 0:0, whichever is more favourable for the student. The final exam makes up either 0% or 0% of the overall mark.
Error: Assessment components must add up to 100%
At least one Assessment Component needs to be entered
|Component Description||Due Date||Time||Percentage of overall mark||Submission Method||Compulsory|
|3. Adaptive Learning assignments- online activities||
|6. Final Test||
Required and Recommended Readings*
Punto y Aparte- 6 edition- Spanish in Review- Moving toward fluency
There is a link on Moodle with instructions for those that need to purchase the ebook and online material. The student that has already bought the program in the A semester will only need to follow the link and add their credentials.
Resources on Spanish Language
-The RAE, Real Academia de la Lengua Española, is the most important cultural institution which dedicates its work to improving and prescribing the use of the Spanish language. Grammatical rules are constantly being updated.
-This website brings together all possible aspects of the Spanish language, from its history, dictionaries, grammar rules, and etymology. It is truly fantastic.
-Etimología de la Lengua Española is a blog that will fascinate anyone who is interested in the origin of Spanish words and their evolution throughout the centuries.
-In this Blog de la Lengua Española one can find really interesting posts regarding the use of the language. It includes a forum in which participants discuss many aspects of Spanish philology.
-The site Juegos de Palabras is an entertaining and enjoyable way to learn curious aspects of the Spanish language. It compiles a great number of amusing anecdotes regarding the tongue.
-NOBLE, or the Network of Business Language Educators, offers a number of fantastic language resources geared specifically toward the business world.
This paper is worth 15 points, which equals 150 learning hours. It is highly recommended to work a minimum of one hour and a half on a daily base to master the concepts (and get a great score) plus the contact hours.
Homework assignments are daily so you can get the practice you need to retain new material.
Linkages to Other Papers*
Prerequisite papers: SPNSH331