Tourism and Hospitality Enterprise Management
You can contact staff by:
- Calling +64 7 838 4466 select option 1, then enter the extension.
Extensions starting with 4, 5, 9 or 3 can also be direct dialled:
- For extensions starting with 4: dial +64 7 838 extension.
- For extensions starting with 5: dial +64 7 858 extension.
- For extensions starting with 9: dial +64 7 837 extension.
- For extensions starting with 3: dial +64 7 2620 + the last 3 digits of the extension e.g. 3123 = +64 7 262 0123.
I believe in active learning and give due recognition to participants’ point of view based on previous learning or work experience. The paper consists of components such as lectures, discussions, case studies, assignments, participation and presentation in a syndicate or individual to achieve the learning objectives of the course. Any or all relevant materials, readings, etc. will be used to enhance the learning experience of the participants. You are encouraged to participate in all learning activities of the session.
Hence the session structure is expected to enable students to:
- Gain a greater appreciation of the key issues,
- Develop appropriate reading of journal articles for each topic with help from lecturer,
- Develop an awareness of Hospitality & Tourism management for advancement,
- Develop critical and analytical skills,
- Improve the skills required in preparing and presenting written and oral materials.
- Actively participate in discussion and debate over contemporary issues in Hospitality & Tourism Management.
Students who successfully complete the paper should be able to:
Students who successfully complete the course should be able to:
This paper is offered from the perspective of strategic tourism and hospitality enterprise operations decision making and management. It will examine systems and tools for the improvement of financial performance, human resource, risk and crisis management, customer satisfaction, design of operational systems. The concepts, topics, and cases from an applied viewpoint of tourism and hospitality managers will be used to enhance critical thinking.
A future-oriented practical approach will be taken and issues relevant to emerging operational and technological challenges will be considered and discussed
Note: Participants should keep this perspective in mind when examining each issue in this paper, preparing and presenting work for assessment. On completion of this paper participants should be able to from a management viewpoint:
Linked to the following assessments:
- Identify and analyse linkage between general and operations management to achieve quality outcomes and customer satisfaction in the tourism and hospitality enterprise.
- Identify and evaluate synergies for efficient & effective tourism and hospitality human resource and service management.
- Scrutinise and evaluate systems and tools of various departments in the enterprise to achieve financial efficiencies and profitability.
- Evaluate and synthesise impacts of business ethics and environmental responsibility on the management in current global tourism and hospitality operations.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing with a diverse business clientele.
- Current issues in managing tourism and hospitality effectively will be included in class discussion as they arise during the trimester.
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0. There is no final exam. The final exam makes up 0% of the overall mark.
The internal assessment/exam ratio (as stated in the University Calendar) is 100:0 or 0:0, whichever is more favourable for the student. The final exam makes up either 0% or 0% of the overall mark.
Error: Assessment components must add up to 100%
At least one Assessment Component needs to be entered
|Component Description||Due Date||Time||Percentage of overall mark||Submission Method||Compulsory|
|1. Practical Topic Review (Video presentation - 3 minutes)||
16 Aug 2021
|2. Practical Topic Review critique (written)||
30 Aug 2021
20 Sep 2021
|4. Group report on operational strategies used in luxury hotels in NZ.||
25 Oct 2021
Required and Recommended Readings*
ISBN: 9780170274845 : eBook: Strategic Management for Tourism and Hospitality Enterprises
Here is the link for students they get 15% off using discount code NZ15OFF
Regular reading of articles relevant to the paper topics from following academic journals is suggested:
- International Journal of Hospitality Management
- Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Research
- Tourism Management
- Annals of Tourism Research
- International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management
- Cornell Hotel and Restaurant Quarterly
|Course Requirements||Time Required Per Week||Total Time Required|
|Lectures and tutorial||3 hrs||36|
|Preparation for Lectures including readings||4 hrs||48|
|Practical topic review (Presentation)||11|
|Practical topic review (Written)||15|